PARISH OF POLMONT.
As the parish is but of recent formation, it accords few materials for history. It was disjoined from that of Falkirk in 1724. Its name, however, must be at least of long standing, for among the titles of the Duke of Hamilton, he is called Lord Polmont. I know not of any notices of the parish, save in the previous Statistical Account, and in Nimmo's History of Stirlingshire ; and, in both, the notices are brief and meagre.
Eminent Characters.-Dr Henry, one of the ministers of Edinburgh, author of a History of Great Britain, resided here, for several years, during the summer months, and was buried in the churchyard in 1790, where there is a monument to his memory.
Land-Owners.-The principal of these are, the Earl of Zetland; John G. Drummond, Esq. of Abbotsgrange; and Captain Dalgleish of Heddoch,-all of whom are non resident; and among the chief resident proprietors are, Sir Thomas Livingstone, Bart. of West-quarter; William Logan, Esq. of Clarkstone; Thomas Walker, Esq. of Polmont Bank; James Milne, Esq. of Haypark; and William Johnstone, Esq. of Meadowbank. There is a peculiarity connected with the resident proprietors, which should be mentioned. Many of them, though the annual value of their lands be not great, are possessed of independent fortunes, derived from other sources. In the Carse, the properties generally do not consist of more than forty or fifty acres each, yet there have been few changes among the owners. For several generations, the same lands have been held, in various instances, by the same families.
Parochial Registers.- There are registers of births and of proclamations, both of which commence at the origin of the parish. There is also a register of funerals which extends back for fifty years.
Antiquities.- The Roman Wall, commonly called Graham's Dike, erected by the Emperor Antoninus Pius about the year 140, and stretching from the Frith of Forth to the Frith of Clyde, passed through the parish. All remains of it have disappeared, though some existed only a few years ago. On the hill beyond Redding is a stone, known in the neighbourhood by the name of Wallace's Stone, and, if tradition be credited, commemorative of the place where the famous Sir William Wallace, in consequence of his quarrel with Sir John Stewart, another of the Scottish chiefs, viewed the battle of Falkirk, from the site of which it is distant about two miles, and of which it commands a prospect,-a sullen and inactive spectator. But, whatever be the credit attached to the tradition, the stone is obviously of recent origin, and, on examination, will disappoint the antiquary.
Modern Buildings.- Most of the houses of the resident proprietors are
modern,-Polmont Park, Parkhill, Clarkstone, Polmont House, Millfield, Polmont Bank,