of Killballyowen, Bruff, Co. Limerick
The Ancestors of Thomas can be followed back to Donald O'Grady who fell
in battle 1309.
THOMAS O'GRADY, b. Kilballyowen,
Co. Limerick, Ireland, son of JOHN O'GRADY m.
1718, Anne Horrish, daughter of John Horrish, of The Grange, Ballybohill, co. Dublin. And
- JOHN, of
- Darby, served in India, m. Rose, eldest dau, of Neill Segrave, of Cabra House,
Co. Dublin, Ireland and had issue.
- Gilbert, an officer in the French Service, dsp.
- Denis, an officer in the Austrian Service, dsp.
- Standish m. 1750, Eliza , dau. of Edward Deane, of Dangan, Co. Kilkenny, and of
Terenure, co. Dublin, and had issue,
- John O'Grady of Harstonge Street, Limerick, Ireland.
- Eliza, m. James Bennett, of Ballinstona, co. Limerick and had
issue, one dau.
- Mary Bennett m. George Gough Gubbins, b. Maidstown Castle, Co. Limerick,
Ireland, (son of Joseph Gubbins).
- Mary, m. 1788, Henry Harrison, of Castle
Harrison, Charleville, co. Cork and had issue amongst others
- Standish Henry Harrison, m. 1825, his cousin Isabella de Courcy
JOHN O'GRADY, b.
Kilballyowen, Co. Limerick, Ireland, m. 28 March 1751, Mary Elizabeth de Courcy
eldest da. and co-heiress of Gerald de Courcy, 24th
Baron Kingsale. Toms note, from Limerick general
Advertiser 13 Jane 1809 : On Sunday at Shanakel WAT the seat of her
son-in-law David HEARNE Esq aged 80 years the Hon Mrs O'GRADY, relict of John O'GRADY of
Kilballyowen, ... ; this day her remains were brought to Knockaney to be interred in
the family vault
- GERALD DE COURCY,
of whom presently.
- Elizabeth Julia , m. 14 Jan 1774,Thomas Lidwell, of Clonmore, Co. Tipperary, and
Note from Myles T. Shortall:
Thomas Lidwell, husband of E.J. and father of Mary, took the lease of 'Osberstown House'
Co. Kildare. In the Autumn of 1799 a friend of his daughter, a Mrs Sarah Sutton ( and
cousin of his wife), came to visit for the weekend. Whilst alone with Mrs Sutton on a
Sunday afternoon excursion, Thomas stopped their vehicle and allegedly raped her. Thomas
was arrested and tried in front of Lord Carleton, who found him guilty and sentenced him
to death by hanging. This was later commuted to transportation for life. There is record
of a will of Thomas Lidwell Esq. of Carlow Town 1809, so he may have escaped even
transportation.Among his defence team were to be found John Philpot Curran (Master of the
Rolls 1806), and Standish
O'Grady (later Viscount Guillamore) who was a half second cousin of Elizabeth Julia
O'Grady (wife of Thomas Lidwell).
- Margaret , m. David Hearn, of Shanakill, Co. Waterford, Ireland.
- Ellen, dunm.
The only son,
GERALD DE COURCY O'GRADY, of Killballyowen, Co. Limerick, m. Elizabeth Thomasina, eldest dau. of John
Thomas Waller, of Castletown Manor,Pallaskenry, Co. Limerick. Gerald died 1812, while
serving in the Peninsular War, having had issue,
- GERALD DE COURCY
O'GRADY, of whom presently.
- John Waller, of Port Etna, co. Limerick, JP, RN, b 22 Nov.1796, m 1 Dec 1824,
Caroline, dau of George John Veitch, of Kelso, and had issue ( of whom the elder son
settled in Canada, and the yr children all settled in the USA),
- Gerald de Courcy (Rev), of Fort Etna, co. Limerick, and afterwards Chaplain HM Forces at
Chambly, Canada and Archdeacon of Diocese of Montreal, b 22 Oct 1826, m 17 Nov 1853,
Charlotte Knox, yst dau of Rev William Agar Adamson, LLD, Chap and Librarian to
Legislative Council of Canada, and d.18 Aug.1862, leaving issue,
- John Waller de Courcy, Lt-Col and OC 90th Winnipeg Rifles 1914, Managing
Director Northern Crown bank, Winnipeg 1905-14, Cmdt. Canadian Bisley Team 1912, b 26
Sep.1854, educ. Bishops College School, Lennoxville, m. 3 June 1885, katherine Frances (d
2 Dec.1947), eldest dau of Lt-Col Joseph Stopford Maunsell, DAG, of new Brunswick, Canada,
and d. 2 Nov.1914, leaving issue,
- Gerald Frances de Courcy, Barrister-at-law, and Solicitor Manitoba 1913, served in World
War I (wounded three times), Lt-Col 90th Winnipeg Rifles, Vice President of the
Winnipeg Board of Trade, b. 10 Aug.1897, educ, Upper Canada College, Toronto, and Univ of
Toronto (BA 1909), m. 31 Mar.1917, Elsie May, dau of Frank Lawrence Patton, of Winnipeg,
and d. 8 Feb.1970, leaving issue,
- Gerald Lawrence de Courcy of Vancouver, Canada, served in World War II as Lieut RCAF, b
24 Aug.1923, educ. Univ of Manitoba.
- Sheila de Courcy b 6 June 1918, m 1st. 1 March 1944, Dr Harold William Riley
(d. June 1947) son of Herbert Riley of Winnipeg. Mrs H.W. Riley m. 2ndly 30 June 1954
Murray Clarke Old of Norwood, Manitoba, son of Gerald Percy Old of Winnipeg. She had issue
by her first marriage,
- Michael, b 16 April 1945
- Susan, b 6 Nov 1946.
- Lois Patton de Courcy, served in World War II as Lieut RCAMC, Dietitian Winnipeg Gen
Hosp 1946-47, Canadian Food Products in Winnipeg, Ottowa and Montreal 1947-54, b. 5 March
1920, educ Univ of Manitoba (Bsc 1941) m. June 1954 , Prof. Thomas Jan Frantisek Pavlasek,
of Lachine, PQ, Canada, son of late Dr. Frantisek Pavlasek, formerly Czechoslovakian
Ambassador to Canada, and has issue,
- (Donald) Jan, b 22 Aug 1958
- Anne, b 21 March 1955
- Barbara, b 30 Dec 1956
- Gerald de Courcy, b 31 May 1856, m 6 June 1883 Geraldine, yst dau of Edward Carter, QC,
of Montreal, Canada, and had issue,
- Gerald de Courcy, b 28 July 1884,
- Edward Waller de Courcy b. 6 March 1886
- Standish de Courcy, b 9 Sep. 1899
- Brien de Courcy, b. 5 Nov.1891
- Kathleen de Courcy.
- Edith Geraldine de Courcy.
- Charlotte Kathleen de Courcy.
- Edith Faith de Courcy, dunm May 1877.
- Bolton Waller.
- George John.
- John de Courcy,
Tom's note: possible father of Grace Elizabeth O'Grady b. 1876. Her
father's name was John de Courcy O'Grady b. 24 Aug 1836. John served in the Civil
War from the state of Illinois. On his application for disability from injuries suffered
in the Civil War, he claims he was born in the U.S.Connecticut though that has not been
proven.. Grace was grandmother of Alic(Evans) Hampton, Ca, USA.
- Standish Fitzwaller.
- Elizabeth Caroline.
- Edith Faith.
- John de Courcy (Rev) of Knockany, co. Limerick, b 21 June 1800, m 7 Nov 1836, Eliza (d 7
Nov1898), 2nd dau. of R.J. Peel of Burton-on-Trent, and d.1 Apr 1856, leaving
- Gerald de Courcy, b 21 Mar 1835. M 1 June1867, Jessie Georgina ( d 20 Nov 1912), dau, of
P.D. Souper, of Trinidad, and d.1878, leaving issue,
- Joun de Courcy, d. an inf.
- a dau, d. an inf.
- Eliza Agnes Geraldine, b 7 Aug 1875.
- Henry Knox, Capt. Madras Army, dunm 1873.
- Peel, b.22 July 1842.
- Agnes Antoinette Peel, m. 26 Oct.1864 Major-gen Robert Fowler Butler, of Barton Hall,
Staffs and d 1900, leaving issue, one son.
- Mary Elizabeth m. Capt Alexander Rose ,R.N. and had issue - Toms note:
marriage notice from the Limerick and General Advertiser, 6th June 1813 , On Wednesday, by the Rev Mr CROMPTON, at Knockany Church Alexander ROSE Esq Capt
RN to Miss O'GRADY daughter of the late de Courcy O'GRADY of kilballyowen, in this Co Esq
- Dorothea, m 1814 , Rev Henry Lefroy, vicar of Santry co. Dublin, yst son of Lt-Col
Anthony Peter Lefroy, 9th Drags, and d 1865, leaving issue.
- Isabella de Courcy O'Grady, b. 1808, m 1825, her cousin
Standish Henry Harrison (d.21 Aug. 1865), son of Henry Harrison and Mary O'Grady of Castle
Harrison, Charleville, co. Cork. Isabella d.Nov.1878, buried 6 Nov.1878,
Ballyhea, Charleville, and issue,
- Henry Harrison b. Feb.1826.
- Gerald de Courcy Harrison b. 1828, Charleville, Co. Cork, d. 10 Nov.1885.
- William Thomas Harrison.
- Standish Harrison b.1839, Charleville, Co. Cork, d. Dec.1847.
- Eliza Thomasina Harrison b. Charleville, Co. Cork, m. 8 Mar.1859, in
Ballyhea, Charleville, Henry Call Lodder, b.1825, d.Apr.1875, Dublin.
- Margaret Harrison b. Charleville, Co. Cork, m.4 Jun.1867, in Ballyhea, Charleville,
Arthur Beavin Wynne, d. 22 Dec. 1906. Margaret died 7 Apr.1916.
The eldest son son,
GERALD DE COURCY O'GRADY, of Killballyowen, Co. Limerick,
DL., JP, High Sheriff 1821, m.1813 Anne (d.1849), only child of William Wise, of Cork, and
d. 6 Sept 1862, leaving issue,
- WILLLIAM DE
COURCY O'GRADY, of whom presently.
- Henry Blakeney de Courcy, b. 16 Feb.1825, m. Mary Grace, dau of Major Mackintosh.
- Standish de Courcy, Capt 64th Regt, b.16 Feb 1829, m 1st 31
Mar.1864, Charlotte, yst dau and co-heiress of George Powell Houghton, of Kilmarnock, and
- Gerald de Courcy, b 7 Mar.1865; dsp vp 4 May 1886.
- Standish de Courcy, CMG (1918), DS)(1917), Lt-Col RAMC, cmmnd 1898, served in E. Africa
(despatches) and in World War I (despatches three times), b. 27 July 1872, educ Tonbridge
and Trin Coll Dublin (BA, BCh, BAO), m 7 Jun.1911, Esther Alice (d.24 Jul.1970, aged 86),
only dau. of Col Philip Doyne Vigors, JP, of Holloden, Begenalstown, co. Carlow, and d. 23
Dec. 1920, leaving issue,
- GERALD VIGORS DE
COURCY O'GRADY, THE O'GRADY
- Philip Henry Vigors de Courcy, Lt-Col RA (ret 1962) commnd 11936, served in World War II
(despatches), in Sudan Defence Force 1947-50, and with 4th Regt RHA 1953-56,
cmdg King's Troop, RHA 1956-57, cmd'd 2nd Field Regt. 1958-60, Master of Staff
College and RMC Sandhurst Drag Hunt, b 23 Aug 1916, educ Wellington, and RMA Woolwich; m.
15 Feb 1955 Patricia Denise, dau of late Robert Hunt, of Inchirourke, Askeaton, co.
Limerick, and has issue,
- Donagh Philip Standish, b 20 July 1960, educ Wellington.
- Harry John Hunt, b 3 Dec.1963
- Rachel Geraldine Faith, b 3 Oct.1958, educ Trinity Coll Dublin.
- Faith, b 3 Oct 1913.
- Henry de Courcy, CIE (1919), Brig-gen IA, served on NW Frontier of India 1902 and 1908
(despatches), in World War I (despatches) and Afghanistan 1919 (despatches). Offr. of
Legion d'Honneur, b 26 Aug 1873, educ Tonbridge, m. 3 Feb 1908, Annie Sybil (d. 16
Feb.1956), elder dau. of Col Duncan MacPherson, and d. 23 Feb.1949.
- Donald de Courcy, DSO (1919), medical practitioner, formerly Lt-Col RAMC, served on the
NW Frontier of India, Mohamand Exp 1908, and in World War I (despatches), had French Croix
de Guerre, b 31 May 1881, educ Navy Coll Eltham, m 1st 1910, Marjorie, dau of
Col Wood. He m. 2nd 1929, Lilian and dsp. 28 Jan 1943.
- Eveleen de Courcy, b.13 Dec 1875.
- Angela de Courcy, b.10 May 1883, m 27 Mar 1917, lewis Harold Boileau, son of Major Lewis
Maltby Boileau, Torquay, and d.10 Apr.1951, leaving issue one son and one dau. He d. 5 Jan
- Eliza, m 1842, as his 2nd wife, henry William Knox, DL., JP, eldest son of
Henry William Knox of Netley Park, co. Mayo. He dsp 24 Sep. 1859.
- Anne, m. 10 oct 1844 , Richard Bourke, DL.JP, of Thornsfields, Lisnagary, co. Limerick,
and d.1878, leaving issue. He d. 5 Apr. 1904.
- Thomasina , m. May 1843, Standish Thomas O'Grady, of Landscape, co Clare, and d. 30 Apr
1862, leaving issue. He d. 13 Sep 1876.
- Isabella, m. 26 Apr 1849, Rev Carew Smyth O'Grady,
4th son of Darby O'Grady, DL., JP, and had issue. He d. 1887.
- Amelia, m 15 July 1848, Henry Winthrop O'Donovan, DL, JP, The O'Donovan, youngest son of
Rev Morgan O'Donovan, The O'Donovan, and d 26 May 1896, leaving issue. He d. 24 May 1890.
- Geraldine, dunm.
The eldest son,
WILLIAM DE COURCY O'GRADY, THE
O'GRADY, of Kilballyowen, co. Limerick, b.23 Feb. 1816, educ Trinity College Dublin
(MA) , m. 13 Sep.1841, Anna Grogan (d March 1895), only dau. of Thomas de Reinzi, DL, of
Clobermon Hall, co. Wexford, and d. Nov.1873 leaving issue,
- THOMAS DE COURCY
O'GRADY, of whom presently.
- WILLIAM DE
REINZI O'GRADY, succeeded his brother.
- John de Courcy, CB (1900), of Kilballyowen, co Limerick, DL., JP, High Sherriff 1914,
Lt-Col Connaught Rangers, joined 1878, served in Zulu War, Secocoeni War (severely
wounded, despatches), and in S. African War 1899-1901 (despatches), ret 1903, b 1 Nov
1856, educ Windermere College, and RMC Sandhurst, m 4 June 1892, Evelyn Wanda (d .8 Feb
1951), youngest daughter oof Maj-Gen Mattei, CMG, and dsp 30 Aug 1920.
- Anne Geraldine, m 4 Feb 1870, john Edward le Motte, and d Aug 1871.
- Catherine Frances, m 4 Mar 1878, Arthur Winthrupp Gubbins, of Miltown, co Limerick, and
had issue, one daughter. He d. 1902
The eldest son,
THOMAS DE COURCY O'GRADY, THE O'GRADY, of
Kilballyowen, co. Limerick, b. 17 Dec 1844, m 1 Sep 1877, Elizabeth Jane (d. Feb 1896),
only dau of Major Richard Doyne, of Hermitage, co Dublin, and dsp 21 March 1898, when he
was succeeded by his brother,
WILLIAM DE REINZI O'GRADY, THE O'GRADY, of
Kilballyowen, co. Limerick, b 17 June 1852, dunm 1932 when he was succeeded by his cousin,
GERALD VIGORS DE
COURCY O'GRADY, THE O'GRADY